Monday, September 17, 2012

Apple, Fig, Peach Cobbler

I have been known to procrastinate, so I suppose getting some apple recipes posted for our "Apple" Flavor of the Month is no exception to my bad habit. Many apologies! I'll make it up to you in baked goods. :)


How about a cobbler to start making amends? I promise that this apple, fig, and peach dessert will not disappoint!

After suffering a recent cat attack on my right hand, I even made the cobbler for you wonderful followers solely with my still functional left hand...which was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Luckily, I got by with a little help from my friend, Sarah.

Ingredients:
1 Granny Smith apple
1 Gala apple (Although, the apples you choose are really all up to you)
4-6 figs
1 peach
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter (softened)
1 tbs honey
1 tsp vanilla
*Adding a small amount (~1 tbs) of flour to the fruit mix to thicken it is optional

*Makes 4-5 servings

Directions: 
Making this recipe is pretty simple, even if you only have one hand.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Begin by slicing up the fruit for the cobbler. I sliced the apples and peaches fairly thin so that they would soften easily. The figs should have no trouble softening, so there is no need to slice them too thin...in fact, I think slicing them too thin could result in fig soup! Once the fruit is sliced, toss it in a large bowl with the white sugar, cinnamon, and flour if you desire a thicker fruit filling. Transfer this tossed fruit mix into a small to medium glass baking dish prepped with non-stick spray. A metal pan will also suffice.


Now, to create the topping. Chop the walnuts to your desired thickness. I left mine pretty chunky out of personal preference. Mix the walnuts with the oats, butter, brown sugar, honey, nutmeg, and vanilla until it is a loose, doughy, crumble-like consistency. Once this is done, simply layer this on top of the fruit mix that is already in the baking dish. I sprinkled a little extra brown sugar and drizzled extra honey on top too. Bake for 30-40 minutes, and let it cool for about 20 minutes before serving. It goes great with ice cream!

I hope this recipe makes up for my lagging this month. But stay tuned...I have a quesadilla recipe coming soon. It is the best quesadilla I have ever made, and YES, it contains apples!

-Ianna



No comments:

Post a Comment